Vero Beach Roofing Shingles
Vero Beach roofing shingles come in a variety of different styles, colors and warranties. The most common and least expensive shingle has a 20 year warranty and is known as the strip shingle or the 3-tab shingle. The second most common composition shingle is the 30 year dimensional shingle. This shingle is also referred to as the laminated shingle or the architectural shingle. It carries a 30 year warranty and is distinguishable from the 20 year shingle by its thicker, heavier look which was designed to imitate the appearance of wood shingles. Laminated roofing shingles also comes in 40 and 50 year versions which are each slightly thicker than the 30 year shingle but are otherwise exactly the same in appearance.
Although the strip shingle and the laminated shingle account for 95% of all Vero Beach shingle roofs, there are numerous alternatives including hail resistant shingles and specialty roofing shingles.
Types of Roofing Shingles Used in Vero Beach, FL
- 3-tab Composition Shingles are by far the most commonly used shingle in America. They have a 20 year warranty and are the most inexpensive roofing material available. Their chief attributes are low price, ease of application and wide selection of available colors. Their disadvantages are relatively short life expectancy and their plain, unadorned appearance. This roof appearance consists of identical 5" X 12" rectangles repeating endlessly across the roof.
- Laminated Shingles start off with much the same construction as a 3-tab or strip shingle but then an extra layer of material cut into a saw-tooth pattern is glued on (or laminated) to the exposed portion of the shingle. This makes the shingle thicker and longer lasting. In addition, multiple variations in the saw-toothed give the shingle a varied thatched-like appearance so that the roof does not show any repeating pattern. This combination of extra thickness and random appearance is much more successful in hiding the defects in the roof deck and is one of these shingles main attributes. While these shingles are considerably different, as a class, from the 3-tab shingles there is little or no difference in appearance between the 30, 40 and 50 year versions.
- Hail Resistant Shingles also come in both 3-tab and laminated styles. However the 3-tab style carries a 30 year warranty and the laminated style carries the 50 year warranty. These shingles do not appear any different to the naked eye from the regular 3-tab and laminated shingles. However they are manufactured using a special asphalt called modified bitumen, which contains 2 types of special chemical modifiers known as elastifiers and UV blockers.
- Specialty Shingles - Although specialty shingles only account for 2-3% of the composition shingle market there is a large number of different types and styles to choose from. There are shingles embossed with a wood grain, shingles designed to look like slate, extremely heavy and thick shingles, shingles with multiple layers of laminate and even copper plated shingles.
The Roofing Shingles Installation Process
- Complete removal of the existing roof system including shingles, tile, asphalt sealants, boots, vents, and fasteners.
- Remove and replace any and all rotted roof sheathing throughout entire roof area.
- Remove and replace any and all rotted fascia board that is accessible without the removal of exterior structures.
- Refasten entire roof deck using 8d ring shank nails to “code plus” strength. *Note: this step may qualify for insurance reductions. (Options available)
- Install new modified rubber self-adhered leak barrier underlayment to entire roof surface. *Note: use of this underlayment may qualify for a reduction on your insurance. (Options available)
- Install new modified rubber flat roof membrane at dead valley / wall up-step / chimney / cricket detail areas, fastened, masticsized, and anchored to wall using fascia/cap anchor bar, where applicable.
- Install new modified rubber flat roof membrane at flat roof tie-in, fastened and masticsized, where applicable.
- Install new velux, self-flashed, all in one tempered glass hurricane rated, leak proof skylights over existing openings, fastened and masticsized where applicable. (Options available)
- Install new lead boots over plumbing stacks, fastened and masticsized, where applicable.
- Install new vents over kitchen, dryer, and bathroom exhaust openings, fastened and masticsized, where applicable.
- Install new pre-painted drip edge flashings entire perimeter of roof, fastened and masticsized. Color as per customer choice - 4 available.
- Install new valley metal down all valley areas, fastened and masticsized where applicable.
- Paint all boots and vents to match shingle color where applicable.
- Install special high wind resistant starter-strip shingles at perimeter of roof area, fastened and masticsized. (Options available)
- Shingle entire roof area using gafelk timberline prestique ultra high definition asphalt / fiberglass, fungus resistant shingles, nailed six (6) nails per shingle. (Options available)
- Install special high wind resistant, gafelk seal-a-ridge cap shingles at all crown and hip areas, fastened. (Options available)
- Install new solar powered attic ventilators with thermostat control, Shingle Ridge Vent or Shingle Off Ridge Vent to achieve proper attic ventilation. (Options available)
- Clean up and remove all debris. Use magnet to remove fasteners from lawn.
Roofing Shingle Options
110 MPH Wind Warranty
130 MPH Wind Warranty
Sealant, Cut Shingles
Sealant, High Wind Resistant Anti-Lift Shingle
Starter strip is required in order to meet code. Special high wind resistant starter strip shingles help prevent shingle blow-off during wind events. Your roof will automatically be upgraded to 130mph wind resistance just by using special starter strip shingles.
3-Tab Royal Sovereign
Timberline High Definition
Older style 3-tab shingles are being phased out and rarely sold in Florida. To set your roof apart designer shingles are new, beautiful and different, often improving the home's value.
Hip & Ridge
25-Year Cut 3-Tab Shingles
Seal-A-Ridge High Wind Resistant Hip & Ridge
Timbertex High Profile Hip & Ridge
Special high wind resistant hip & ridge shingles are specifically designed to resist high winds and prevent blow-off. Considered a must in Southwest Florida, using these shingles will ensure the entire roof is covered by the 130mph wind warranty.
Add new Velux 14 Sun Tunnel Skylight
Add new Velux FCM Skylight w/Finished Light Shaft
Add Light Block Shade Blind
When quality skylights are installed correctly they will outlast the rest of your roof, save money on energy bills, prevent heat from entering, make the inside of your building more enjoyable and enhance value. Home and Gardens Magazine states that "adding a skylight is the single best return on investment in remodeling today."
Replace w/Plastic Dome Skylight
Replace w/VELUX Impact Resistant Skylight
When quality skylights are installed correctly they will outlast the rest of your roof, save money on energy bills, prevent heat from entering, make the inside of your building more enjoyable and enhance value.
Energy Star Recommendation
It is customary to re-insulate your attic during the roof process. Doing so will save a minimum of 20% off of your cooling and heating bills and make it more comfortable. Homes built before 2007 were required to only install R-19. New code is R-30, FPL suggests R-38 and The Department of Energy suggests R-49. Typical investment payback is less than 3 years. Insulated areas do not included non-conditioned spaces.
Add Where Able
Entire Perimeter (not screen enclosures & gables)
Gutters are usually replaced during the reroof process. Gutters help prevent foundation decay, flower bed damage and exterior equipment damage. Gutters are perfect for collecting rain water for lawn use, preventing waterfalls on walkways and redirecting rainwater away from the building.
Highest Wind Resistance
8d Ring Shank Nail 8-6-12
8d Ring Shank Nail 8-6-6
8d Ring Shank Nail 8-4-6
The Florida Building Code requires that all existing decks be refastened to current code of using an 8d nail, six inches on center at the perimeter of each plywood sheet and twelve inches on center in the field of each plywood sheet. By refastening and documenting a code-plus installation, your roof will qualify for insurance reductions. It is important to upgrade not only the fastener spacing, but also the fastener type as well.
#30lb. Felt Paper, Nailed
Sealed Seams, #30lb. Felt Paper, Nailed
Fully Adhered, Sealed Fasteners
30lb. Felt Paper, Nailed & Fully Adhered
By installing a fully-adhered underlayment directly to the roof's deck you provide a hurricane resistant secondary water barrier against leaks and storm damage. Doing so will qualify your roof for major insurance reductions.
Enhanced Value & Protection
Reseal Existing Flashing
New Exterior Flashing
New Concealed Flashing
Common practice is to reseal existing flashings unless the flashings are installed improperly or not in "like new" condition. Exterior flashing is less expensive, but may create a maintenance situation. If you desire a finished look, removing the stucco/siding and installing new flashing and finish materials is an option. Note: Additional painting may be required.
High Wind Resistance
Aluminum Ridge Vent
Mesh Shingle Over Ridge Vent (A/C Filter)
Baffle Shingle Over Ridge Vent
Large Off Ridge Vent
Solar Powered Ridge Vent
Ventilation is required to meet code. Due to ridge and system limitations some vent options may not be available. Aluminum and Mesh ridge vents require maintenance.
Our Vero Beach Roofing Shingle Contractors Provide These Services
- Roofing Shingles
- Asphalt Shingles
- Shingles for Roofs
- Tile Shingles
- Roof Repairs
- Shingle Repairs
- Shingle Replacement
- Roof Tiles
- Roof Replacements
- Roofing Tiles
- Shingles Prices
- GAF Shingles
Why Vero Beach Should Hire Us for Their Roofing Shingles
When it comes to quality roofing shingles and roof installation or repairs, you can count on the team of professional Vero Beach roofers at Panda Contractors. Our Vero Beach roofers are fully trained and continuously stay up to date on the latest installation processes and roofing materials available in order to provide you with the best quality roofing services in the area. We never use subcontractors - all our roofing shingle installers are our hand selected employees.
With over over 40 years of experience as a fully insured and licensed Vero Beach roofing contractor, Panda Contractors is your go-to roofing company for quality roofing shingles in Florida.
Recent Articles about Roofing Shingles
- Fort Pierce Choosing the Right Roof Shingles For Your Home - Choosing the right roof for your Fort Pierce home can be a challenging task to tackle due to all the factors you have for your Florida home. Such as the weather witch consist of hurricanes and tropical storms. Extreme heat and humidity mixed with a ton of rain and crazy lighting. Who ever said lightning never ... [Read more]
- The Edge of Vero Beach Roofing Shingles - Asphalt shingles are a variety of roofing shingles. They have become popularly used nowadays because they are inexpensive, economical, lighter and easier to install compared to tiles, and has good insulation qualities compared to galvanized iron sheets. Moreover, in terms of aesthetics, they give the house a textured, classic and elegant look. Asphalt became ... [Read more]